Ahhh. Summer holidays.
Sand between the toes, the whiff of BBQ’s in the air, and finally, some time to kick back and relax with a book. There’s so little spare time during the year, that I want to make the most of the opportunity, so I choose my summer reads very carefully. I may read a novel or flick through some magazines but usually there’s some uplifting books in the beach-bag as well.
Here’s my picks for some top inspirational reads for your book-list this summer:
- I Know How She Does It – How successful women make the most of their time, by Laura Vanderkam. In this great read you’ll pick up some excellent strategies for spending more time on what you enjoy. The practical examples will inspire you and help you to build a life that works for you.
- Lean In: Women, Work and the will to Lead, by Sheryl Sanders. Around for a few years now, Lean In, is still a must read for every return to work and working woman. The book provides practical strategies for managing and overcoming the challenges that your may confront in your career advancement journey.
- Just Who Does She Think She Is? by Julie Cross. If you’ve been to one of Julie’s ‘shows’ you will definitely want to read this book and if you haven’t grab the book to get you through until you can see her live. Julie perfectly melds inspiration and humour to help connect you to your incredible sparkle.
If you’re open to some spirituality, these are great thought provokers/life changers:
- The Power of Now by Erkhardt Tolle. Learn about the amazing power of the present in helping you to live a happier and healthier life.
- Light is the New Black, by Raylene Campbell. This easy to read book helps you to discover your own personal light so it may burn brightly and inspire others to do the same.
Why not add one of these to your Christmas wish list? And if Santa does happen to forget, most of these titles are also available through the Brisbane City Council library service. You can even put a hold on them using their on-line catalogue.
Now all you need to do is to put your feet up and relax!
Happy holidays. Happy reading…
Donna Thistlethwaite is the professional careers coach behind CareerSmart Mums, a workshop that offers return-to-work mums the practical and motivational help they need to pursue a career that they love. For more information, and to join the CareerSmart Mums network, visit www.careersmartmums.com.au.